It is a typical high wind spring day in the Eastern Sierra. I'm inspired by comfort food and soup today. Below is a recipe that I made earlier this week. It is a bit from a real recipe as well as a bit of 'whats in the pantry' soup. It is easy to make, easy on the budget and fairly quick. It is also vegan and gluten free! Serve this stew-like concoction in a big bowl with bread or homemade gluten free biscuits.
Garbanzo bean, potato and spinach soup (more of a stew really)
1 cup vegetable broth
1 cup water
1/4 onion diced
1 15 oz can of garbanzo beans (or great northern, navy or cannelini) drained and rinsed with skins removed
2 small potatoes (fit in the palm of your hand small) or 1 mediumish
3 Tbs of quinoa or brown rice
large handful of baby spinach (kale or mustard greens will also work)
Bragg's amino acids
large pinch of mustard powder
1) dice the onion
2) heat soup pot over medium heat. add a splash or so of olive oil. add onion and a pinch of salt. saute until the edges of the onion start to turn brown.
3) while the onion is cooking, scrub the potatoes and dice into 1/2 inch cubes
3) when the onions are ready add the potato cubes and stir to coat
4) add the veg broth and water. if you have some tomato juice floating around in the refrigerator, substitute some of the water for this.
5) add a good 2 second squirt of Bragg's and the large pinch of mustard powder. add black pepper and salt to taste. vegetarian worchestershire sauce also makes a good addition.
6) bring to a boil and add the rice or quinoa; cover and reduce heat to cook until the potatoes are mostly done.
7) while the soup is cooking drain the garbanzo beans and rinse. remove the skins by lightly pinching each bean. this is a bit tedious, but worth it since the skins are not digestible. you all know what happens then. :)
8) add the garbanzo beans
9) when the potato is done, add the spinach. let cook for a few minutes. if you choose to use kale or other hearty green, add earlier so that it cooks enough to rid it of the toughness. be sure to chop the kale into small bits.
10) adjust the seasonings and serve